Sunday, May 13, 2012

Do It Yourself

"Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain--if indeed it was in vain? Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law or by hearing with faith?" -Galatians 3:3-5 ESV

I have a love-hate relationship with this verse. I am an independent person. I like to do things by myself, figure things out by myself, and stand on my own two feet. I have a hard time relying on other people and I like to be in charge. Every time God brings this verse to my attention, which is more often than I like, it's like a slap over the head. I think I can do everything myself. Some of it is our culture's emphasis on independence and self-reliance, but most of it is me and my need to do things myself. Often times I approach my need to grow in Christ with the same attitude that I face life with. I want to fix things myself. I want to change myself. And I've tried it, I keep trying it. It doesn't work.

"Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? Have you suffered so much for nothing--if it really was for nothing? Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?" -Galatians 3:3-5 NIV

It doesn't work because it's not meant to work. We can't pound out our lives. We can't become like Christ on our own. Not by our own strength anyway. This is a real battle for me, one that I constantly have to consciously fight. Part of surrendering my life to God is to trust him. To let go of my white-knuckled grip on the reigns of my life and to allow God to redirect it. He wants to reshape me, and he'll be with me the entire way. I have to lean on him and let him get me through it. Every day, every hour and more I have to remind myself to give God control and stop trying to fix myself. I can't do it alone. I don't have to do it alone. Thank goodness. What a relief. God is at my side, ready to take the stress of life and show me the way if I'd just let him. He surrounds me with godly people to uplift, encourage and straighten me out. Praise be to him! I'm ending this post by sharing a song I discovered a week ago that speaks to my heart on this subject.


By God's grace,
Ericka

1 comment:

  1. AmenAmen. I think this is something everybody has to learn for themselves.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.
Thank you for reading.
-Ericka