Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pure Joy?

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you met trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." -James 1:2-3
James must have been one godly man. I mean...even just in reading that verse I'm in awe of his attitude, perspective, and boldness to even tell believers do do that. Pure joy in trials. Even though I've heard the idea many times before, my brain just turned on the brakes and screeched to a halt. What? Joy in suffering? Who would say such a thing? How can you even do that?
I mean, come on... Nobody likes real pain. Emotional or physical. I recently had a surgery, and trust me, it's been no joy. But, read the verse again. I don't think James is saying we have to find joy in pain. He's just giving you perspective. A look beyond the suffering. Not joy in pain, but joy because we have reason to withstand it. Joy because we have hope to grow and be strengthened, and an assurance of a better future. We can bear pain with a joyful spirit because we know there is more and we know God will use it. A mindset based upon the expectation of an amazing eternity cuts the trials of now down in size. It's hard to remember to look at things that way, but when you can, it's absolutely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.
Thank you for reading.
-Ericka