Friday, May 11, 2012

Loving the Family

I am going to be posting my thoughts on a verse or passage either ever day, or every other day, for awhile. Maybe most of the summer. A friend of mine gave me the idea, and I think it's a great way to really meditate on scripture. So, it's mostly for me, but by posting my thoughts on a verse I'm reading, I'm setting up an accountability factor that I need. Here's the first one: 

"Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing." -1 Peter 3:8-9

I haven't been home from college very long, one week today, but I already find myself falling back into my bad habits of treating my siblings in a way that isn't God-honoring. Most the time it is small things, little snarky comments, or snapping back when someone snaps at me. My patience and tolerance is pretty long with most people, but for some reason very short with my family. This verse speaks to me about my actions with my siblings. I find myself forgetting to look at them through God's love and instead expecting them to live up to what I know they're capable of, and know they should do, and that tends to irritate me. But instead, I should love them. I need to humble myself, set a good example (being the eldest, this is my lot in life), and encourage them to do better. It won't be easy, to break old habits, but with Yahweh's strength and the Holy Spirit's guidance, I can create new and more godly ones. I was called to love and bless everyone, especially my family, it's an important aspect of my life that I'm trying to get right with God. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Something I needed to hear myself...setting a good example and leading by example is hard. For me, a great struggle is actually paying my siblings much attention at all. I get so lost in thought and so concentrated on all the things I'm having to take care of that I'm very impatient with interruption. In a word, selfishness.
    But like you say, it's all about love through God's eyes.

    Thanks for posting. I look forward to keeping up with your future verses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow....thank you for hitting me right between the eyes.
    Really, though. Thanks. Love ya <3

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.
Thank you for reading.
-Ericka